As Bloomberg said when commending Marty Markowitz on his recommendations for the city’s plan to revitalize Coney Island:
"Coney has always been a place where families of every economic means could come to play and to dream. It’s where I spent summers as a child and remains an essential part of childhood for generations of children past, present and future. It’s not about profits, it’s about families".
For pro-amusement-like minds, this is a step in the right direction. For those who wish big development to come to Coney without staying true to what Coney Island has been throughout its history is in tune with the same type of thinkers who helped bring about a boring public park space that you could see anywhere else, subsidized housing that you have everywhere else, another airport where you have enough, big box stores where you could put somewhere else in Brooklyn, another abandoned lot which is an eye sore, another expressway where we have enough, more condo towers where there are too much, a freight yard that should be covered, a truck facility that should be left for an industrial zoned area, and another mall where we have enough!
That is what has happened to all of New York City’s past amusement parks!
- Rockaway Playland turned into subsidized houses
- Bergen Beach Amusement Park turned into an open-space public park
- North Beach Amusement Park turned into LaGuardia Airport
- Adventures Inn turned into an abandoned small airport beside to big box stores
- Kiddy City turned into an abandoned lot
- Golden City Amusement Park turned into part of the Belt Parkway
- Palisades Amusement Park turned into condo towers
- Sand Lane Amusement Park turned into a developer’s empty lot
- Freedomland turned into Co-op city
- Oak Point Amusement Park turned into a freight yard
- Starlight Park turned into a truck facility
- Fairyland Queens amusement park turned into Queens Center Mall
Even though Coney Island as a whole is what we are trying to protect. Coney Island has already suffered losses of its own amusement parks to these similar downfalls:
Steeplechase Park turned into a minor-league baseball stadium, Astroland Park turned into a temporary parking lot and temporary weekend-only flea market, and Luna Park turned into Luna Houses.
Mayor Commends B’klyn BP for Coney Recommendations [Brooklyn Dailey Eagle]