Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Amos Wengler: The Troubadour Of Coney Island's New Website

Often known as the Troubadour and the bard of Coney Island, Songster, Amos Wengler has, for the last couple of decades, provided the soundtrack for this world-famous fabled piece of land known as Coney Island. World famous himself, Amos can be seen every year at Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest on the big stage strumming his guitar and crooning out his love for Coney Island.  He’s also a presence at almost all of Coney Island’s events, especially those that are meant to save his beloved land.  He’s also been a long-time Coney Island Polar Bear and even has a song for that.   He’s a can’t-miss at the Mermaid Parade every year, which he has a catchy diddy for that too.

Now the Coney Island Troubadour has a new blog to get his word out.

Wengler’s bio states (MySpace):
Moved to the US from Isreal when I was 10, the British invasion caught my attention and by the age of 16 I found myself with a guitar and began the process of creating music. Started out playing on the streets of New York in the west village, then moved around and found myself in New Orleans as a Busker, then over to Amsterdam where I performed in a musical comedy that I co-wrote called “Welcome to Transylvania”. One of the tracks from the show was picked up and recorded by EMI. Eventually I returned home and made Brooklyn my home. When I returned back to the US I recorded with Henry Hirsh at Waterfront Studios, where I recorded the tracks “Polar Bear” “Mermaid Parade” and “The Same Mistake” which was published the Rainbow Collection. Today I have written over 100 songs, and continue to perform on the boardwalk as the Bard of Coney Island, where you will see me performing at the Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest, The Swims of the Coney Island Polar Bear Club, and a weekly regular at the Stillwell Ave Station as a performer for the MTA for Music Under New York Program.


Last year in May his 1989 video was featured here in KC. Twenty years ago in a before the Coney redevelopment saga a younger Amos Wengler strumming and yodeling to the tune of Coney.

The Mermaid Parade - Amos Wengler
Description
:

World famous Amos Wengler sings his smash hit - The Mermaid Parade on the boardwalk at Coney Island way back in 1989. THis is from the documentary film Mermaids on Parade by Terry Murphy

Posted by ratfink43 [YouTube]

Visit the Amos Wengler Blog


No comments: