Thursday, April 12, 2007

It's A Game Of Chicken Says The Village Voice

photo [featured in the Village Voice article] by Rguskind (Flickr.com)

Neal deMause's Village Voice article gives a good summary of all the details surrounding the recent issues around Coney Island and how Thor Equities has been handling his project with the city and the people of Coney Island. With all that's been happening it's good to see it all in one place where it puts it into prospective.

deMause writes:
"Joe Sitt had always been very friendly with me and told me that if I ever needed anything, just to give him a call," [Dianna (Lola Staar)] Carlin recalls. "So I called him every hour to try to get through to him." Finally, she reached Thor lawyer Joseph Matalon, who, according to Carlin, "said that their decision on whether or not they were going to proceed with this eviction against me was contingent upon the results of their negotiations with the city"— no condos, no lease. "He was telling me," she says, "that I was being used as a bargaining pawn: We're serious about building these condos on the boardwalk, and if we can't do that, we're just going to destroy Coney Island."

Coney Island's Last Ride? The Bulldozer! [Village Voice]
Mr. Sitt's Bulldozers Come to Coney Island [Gowanus Lounge]
As Thor and City Play 'Chicken,' Will Coney Island Go Dark? [Curbed]



No comments: