Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Queen Of Coney Island Speaks Out On Her Eviction

One can be sure that Lola Staar isn't going to leave Coney Island after being evicted her landlord Thor Equities. But after nine years operating out of her small boutique on the boardwalk, Dianna Carlin (Lola Staar) will have to find a new location for her pink paradise. Carlin, who was able to save her store a few years ago after marching her case to the steps of City Hall, this time she may have had no choice.

Here's what she wrote about her eviction in her latest e-mail.

It breaks my heart to tell you that, as a result of some pathetic bargaining game with the City, Thor Equities is evicting me from my shop on the boardwalk.

Nine years ago, I opened my fabulous Lola Staar Souvenir boutique on the boardwalk in Coney Island. For nine years I have worked with every bit of energy and passion inside me to grow my business and to contribute in a positive way to the community of Coney Island. Owning my shop on the boardwalk has been the most challenging and extraordinary experience of my life.

A few days before Christmas, Thor Equities (the developers who have bought most of the property in the amusement area of Coney Island) began evicting longtime tenants by cutting off locks, asking for triple the rent, or refusing to discuss 2009 leases. On Christmas Eve, huge custom-sized "Space For Lease" banners were put up on Ruby's Bar & Grill, Nathan's Boardwalk store, Cha Cha's, and others businesses on Thor's property in Coney Island.

I was evicted from my shop because of my involvement in Save Coney Island and my opposition to Thor's plan to build condos, high rises and shopping malls in Coney Island's historic Amusement District.

In addition Carlin has stated that she will be opening a new shop at the gateway to Coney Island; the newly renovated Stilwell Avenue Subway station.


No comments: